Winnipeg Metropolitan Region
Expected to be complete by the end of 2020, Plan 2050—the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region's regional growth management and servicing plan, looks ahead to the year 2050 with a focus on objectives and policies that will ensure the long-term economic competitiveness of the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region.
Please see below for information and resources. This page will be updated throughout this process.
The Way Forward: Plan 2050
Download a PDF version of this section.
A Regional Plan is:
A regional plan is a long range planning document that includes a variety of policy areas and crosses multiple jurisdictions. It provides wider focus on environmental, social and economic interests necessary for connecting settlement and protecting the character of areas while directing growth. A regional plan can foster the development of ecological connections, and support sustainability and resilience through a broader focus on risks and opportunities.
The goal of a regional plan is to provide a long term vision to guide land use and development, to improve and coordinate service delivery, to reduce competition between municipalities and to ensure investment in infrastructure is prioritized to support a strong regional economy. A plan will foster an environment for the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region to compete with a single regional voice on the national and global stage.
Competitive metro regions across Canada and the globe create regional plans to:
- Ensure long-term supply of serviced residential, commercial, and industrial land;
- Direct, prioritize, and facilitate investment in infrastructure;
- Provide confidence for investment;
- Ensure the protection of agricultural land;
- Protect freshwater resources;
- Build resilience to flooding and drought and the effects of a changing climate;
- Ensure service delivery to residents and businesses is effective and efficient into the future.
Process and Implementation
The WMR will be seeking input from local, provincial, federal, and Indigenous governments, sector stakeholders, knowledge institutions, professional associations, the development community, planners, economic development professionals, and social and environmental non-government organizations. Over the coming months, the WMR will be using multiple forms of engagement including group sessions, round-tables, one-on-one interviews, surveys, and submissions. Stakeholders will be consulted from a variety of sectors and disciplines over various phases.
|January-June 2020||Research and consult on plan components, policy development|
|Summer 2020||Refine content|
|Fall 2020||Develop draft plan|
|January 2021||Final Plan|
|2021 +||Implementation of plan through conformity, action, and review.|
February 3-5, 2020
Plan 2050 Development
Draft Policy Areas—First Iteration
- Please download a first iteration of potential policy focus areas for Plan 2050.
Winnipeg Metro Region Members
Province Announces Working Group for Winnipeg Metro Region (November 8, 2019)
- Read the Province of Manitoba's announcement on establishing a working group to take action on the report For the Benefit of All.
Plan 2050 Background
- Download presentation from February, 2020 consultations.
For the Benefit of All
- Read the report by Dr. Robert Murray, For the Benefit of All.
Securing Our Future
Last Updated: March 27, 2020